Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ellie in Motion!

I cannot even begin to tell you what a hassle it has been to get this video on the blog. This is Amy by the way, I wanted to do an Ellie post and the video is so sweet. It's not very long,  only about 30 seconds but if you watch to the end you can see her open her mouth and move around quite a bit. Before that though let me give you a little bit of background about this rollercoaster of a pregnancy.
You may not realize that is took me and Robby over a year to get pregnant with Sadie so when we decided to start trying for another baby we were prepared for a long road ahead of us. Imagine our surprise and delight when 2 months later the stick turned blue (well technically it turned pink)!
From the very beginning we both thought we were having a boy. I wasn't sick at all with Sadie and with this pregnancy I could barely lift my head for 7 weeks straight. I had so many vivid dreams about the baby being a boy and when we thought we lost the baby my first thought was "...but that was my son!" So we weren't surprised when we went in for an elective sonogram at 16 weeks and were told they were pretty sure it was a boy. I was excited but also kind of sad because I had always wanted a house full of girls and I thought it would have been really neat for Sadie to have a sister...I know I LOOOVE my sisters and it was something I wanted for Sadie. But I was excited and nervous about a little boy. We bought a couple of boy items but  I didn't want to go crazy at Target until the sex was confirmed at 20 weeks.
A month later we went to the doctor's office for our 20 week anatomy scan. This is the ultrasound where they check the growth of the baby and make sure that the major organs are functioning properly. Thankfully everything looked great! We asked for a gender check fully expecting to see little boy parts floating on the screen. I was shocked when she said "it's a girl!" My first reaction was excitement but it was replaced with worry and guilt because I knew Robby had really been looking forward to having a son. I knew it wasn't my fault (technically it's Robby's fault) but I felt horrible for pushing for that 16 week sonogram when it was too early and he had been thinking his son was on the way for a month. He even told me later if he had never thought it was a boy he wouldn't have been so disappointed. It took me all of 10 seconds to get over the lack of peanut and start getting excited about having two little girls! Robby was happy that he was having another daughter but he was also sad about the little boy that never was :(
It didn't take long to choose a name. We wanted a vintage-y name like Sadie and Robby liked the sound of Elinor, Ellie for short. Her middle name is Robyn which has the same meaning as Robert (Bright fame) so she is named after her father. Robby chose the name and had the final say so it's all the more special. We went through Sadie's old clothes and it was fun to pull out all the cute little onesies, dresses, and socks that we get to use again.
Ellie is now 30 weeks old (gestation) and is very very very active! I am having quite a bit of pain with this pregnancy that makes walking difficult at time, especially in the middle of the night. I actually am going in for an x-ray in a couple of days to make sure that my bones are strong enough for a regular delivery. If not we may be looking at the sharp edge of a scapel! Luckily my pain doesn't seem to bother anyone but me as Ellie is growing like a little weed. I thought I was having lots of braxton hicks contractions because my stomach is always so tight but the doctor felt it and said it feels harder because where ever he pushed he felt baby. She isn't huge, I just have no torso to speak of so there is a lot of baby in a small space.
I could go on and on because I love talking about my girls but I know I'm not quite as entertaining as Sadie so I will end the novel here and let you enjoy the video of Ellie!



No comments: